Shades of Place
Shades of Place is a new online programme where you will explore archival maps and stories whilst learning to master the art of hand embroidery and eco dying thread.
Drawing inspiration from the archives and your local surroundings, you will get the opportunity to use your new creative skills to contribute to a collaborative postcard map of Northern Ireland and border counties to share with future generations.
- Author and Cartographer Garrett Carr will lead a session on maps and the art of storytelling in archiving history and locality inspired by the collections at National Museums NI
- Garrett Carr will also deliver a lecture on The Rule of the Land-Walking Ireland’s Border and how to explore your local area in new ways to uncover hidden gems and often overlooked sites
- Artist and Embroiderer Lyndsey McDougall will lead creative sessions and share skills on eco dyeing and embroidery
- You will receive a personalised photo embroidery kit in the post alongside postcards featuring maps from the NMNI collections to embroider
- We will create a collaborative, collaged map of Northern Ireland and border counties that has been embellished with your hand embroidered, eco dyed thread.
- Sessions will be delivered online via Zoom and Slack - all with the support of the Making the Future team
This programme is FREE and open to anyone based in Northern Ireland or border counties. No embroidery experience required. Due to funding stipulations, this programme is only eligible for those who have not taken part in a previous Making the Future programme.
The programme will take place on the following dates:
Thursday 26th Nov 10-11.30am
Tuesday 1st Dec 10-12pm
Thursday 3rd Dec 10-11.30am
Tuesday 8th Dec 10-11.30am
Tuesday 15th Dec 10-11.30am
For more details, or to discuss any disability access requirements, please contact Shauna McGowan: firstname.lastname@example.org